Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recipe:: Shrimp and Grits

I looove Shrimp and Grits, so I went in search of a good recipe that Daniel and I would enjoy. Let me tell you- this was not so easy! Most recipes had a mile-long ingredient list which scared me away quickly, and the rest seemed like we would be eating all of our calories for the week in one meal. So, I created my own recipe by making major improvisions to the recipes I had found and they turned out great!




...And the Shrimp and Grits were "husband tested and approved" :)


Wanted to share the love for anyone who is a fan of Shrimp and Grits- enjoy my recipe below:



Easy Cheesy Shrimp & Grits


ingredients for grits:

-1 cup quick cooking grits
-2 cups water
-1 cup milk (I used 2%)
-1 tbsp butter (I used light, salted)
-1 cup shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar, other recipes used parmeasan)
-3 pieces bacon (well done- save bacon grease)
-1/2 tsp. salt
-pepper to taste


ingredients for shrimp:
-1 lb. peeled, deveined shrimp (Publix has them on sale frequently)
-1 clove garlic (I used 1 tsp. minced garlic)
-1/2 tsp. paprika
-1 tsp. italian seasoning
-hot sauce or cajun seasoning to taste


Cook bacon first. Crumble bacon, set aside, and keep grease in skillet. Cook grits according to package- make sure to use 1 cup milk and 2 cups water instead of 3 cups water. Add butter, salt, cheese, pepper, and crumbled bacon.
In bacon-grease skillet, add minced garlic and cook on med-high heat for 1 minute. Add shrimp with paprika, italian seasoning, and hotsauce/cajun seasoning. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through, but be sure not to over cook them.

Serve shrimp immediately over the grits.


Yields 4 servings.


-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment